Last weekend, I attended a CrossFit Oly Lifting certificate run by Coach Mike Burgener. This was the first time I had done something like this. I am not a fitness professional, I don't think of myself as a fitness buff and I have never been interested in weight lifting. Olympic lifting is very different from power lifting. In Olympic lifting, you have to be standing and you use your entire body. The movements are very athletic. You don't keep building one muscle, such as your biceps, no, you use your entire body.
Coach Burgener is a kind of a star in the world of Oly lifts. I had never heard of him so I Googled him at the end of the first day and found that he is quite famous. I was first introduced to Oly lifts at CrossFit. I find the entire movement rather complicated and hard to master. You have to be strong, you have to flexible, you have to be precise and fast and you have to pull yourself under the bar. This type of movement does not come naturally to me. Working on them is frustrating. However, Coach B and his staff were really wonderful and at the end of the two days, I felt that I was finally getting it. I began to see nuances and pieces of the puzzle started to fall into place. It also became clear to me that the only way I will ever be able to execute Oly lifts properly will by doing them again and again. Breaking the movements down into drills and keeping on at it until the movements become etched in my neuromuscular memory.
Coach Burgener is a kind of a star in the world of Oly lifts. I had never heard of him so I Googled him at the end of the first day and found that he is quite famous. I was first introduced to Oly lifts at CrossFit. I find the entire movement rather complicated and hard to master. You have to be strong, you have to flexible, you have to be precise and fast and you have to pull yourself under the bar. This type of movement does not come naturally to me. Working on them is frustrating. However, Coach B and his staff were really wonderful and at the end of the two days, I felt that I was finally getting it. I began to see nuances and pieces of the puzzle started to fall into place. It also became clear to me that the only way I will ever be able to execute Oly lifts properly will by doing them again and again. Breaking the movements down into drills and keeping on at it until the movements become etched in my neuromuscular memory.

No comments:
Post a Comment